Spring Storms & Flooding (Part 1): How to Be Prepared
While we all associate spring with new life, in many parts of the country it also heralds the beginning of storm season. If early storms come down while the snow on the ground hasn't melted yet, or when the ground is still frozen, the potential for devastating floods increases.
Follow these tips to prepare for severe weather caused by spring storms:
- Create and practice a family emergency evacuation plan that includes a designated meeting place.
- Make sure that all the adults living in your home know how to turn off gas, water and electricity in case of severe storm.
- Consider getting a flood insurance policy for your home or business. Do it now, as some policies do not go into effect for 30 days - which means you cannot buy them when it starts to rain.
- Take inventory. Consider taking pictures and making videos of the goods in your home. This would come in handy if you should ever need to file an insurance claim.
- Store insurance policies, deeds, property records and other important papers in a safety deposit box.
- Bring in lawn chairs and other items that could fly off during a wind storm.
- Keep the eves and downspouts of your home clean.
- Prune loose branches from trees that are close to your home.
Make an emergency supply kit containing these items:
- Bottled water and nonperishable food for 3 to 5 days.
- A first aid kit that may include scissors, tweezers, cloth tape, antibiotic ointment, adhesive bandages, non-latex gloves, etc.
- A battery-powered flashlight and radio with spare batteries, as well as 1 or 2 external batteries for cell phones, etc.
- A “crank device” that generates current to power up cell phones, can be used as a flashlight, etc.
- Prescription medications, if necessary.
- Blankets and warm clothing.
- Personal hygiene items (toilet paper, tissue, toothbrushes and toothpaste)
If water damage caused by a spring storm or from any source should ever affect your home, call your local PuroClean office, the Paramedics of Property Damage. Our well-trained, professional technicians are standing by and will mitigate your loss to prevent further damage, providing the best services in the industry.